Sunday, February 17, 2013

Searching For More

About two days ago, I was chillin' with Carlos outside waiting for lunch to be ready. I think we might have been playing canicas or something. Anyway, once we finished a round of canicas, I looked up and saw a boy looking through the trash. He had a big bag with him, too. I remember seeing him the week before, but I think he might have been with someone, like a sister or something, so I didn't approach him before. Someone had told me that they were looking for bottles to sell. I thought maybe they were doing it for themselves to earn a quick buck, so that's the other reason I didn't approach him.

This time felt different.

I felt before that I should have approached him, but I thought that might have been my oh-look-a-kid-I-don't-know senses tingling, and that it was me that wanted to talk to him. I mean, of course I want to help all of the kids and get to know them all, but I didn't want to bother him and whoever was with him if it was just that. This time, I felt a strong pull to talk to him. God was telling me to. Estefani, Carlos's sister, was telling me that lunch was ready, but I didn't care. I was not about to put this off. I walked over to him and said, "Hey!"
He responded with a timid, "Hi."
"What are you doing?" I asked him, even though I was sure of what he was doing.
"Looking for bottles."
"Oh. Well, I don't think I have any to give you." I wanted to ask him why, but I didn't want to be too forward. "What's your name?"
"Miguel." (Don't be confused with the other Miguel. Many people here are named Miguel.)
"Nice to meet you. My name is Daniel. And, if you need something, I live in the church here, so, if you want, come to the church if you need something or help with something, ok?"
I'm not sure if he answered to me, but I think he might have just said ok. I then went to Carlos's house to eat lunch. Of course, I totally forgot to mention to Miguel about the kids' program the next day. Figures. Anyway, I told Carlos's dad about what happened, and he said that Miguel was just looking for bottles to sell. I knew that, but I told him that I felt something different, like there was more to the story.

Today, after discussing some things with Pastor Elvis, I mentioned this incident to him. He told me that whenever a kid does that, it's because his dad or mom told him to. Once the kid finds all the bottles he can carry, he brings them to his parent, the parent sells them, and then the parent uses that money for drugs or alcohol. I was a little set back when he said that. I had never really approached a kid who had been in that type of situation. If I had, I wasn't aware. Now, to know that this kid was probably lived this scenario gave me a deep compassion for him. Recalling the incident, I remember his pants and his shirt being dirty, and his face was dirty, too. No, it wasn't because kids just get dirty here. Yes, people are poor here, and kids do get dirty, but they normally stay clean and have clean clothes. He was neither clean nor had clean clothes. Plus, it was about 11 in the morning, so it was a bit early for a kid to have all of his clothes, plus his face, dirty. The point is, him being dirty didn't seem normal. I explained this to Pastor Elvis, and he told me that is why it would be great to have an orphanage here. Apparently, there's a lot more kids who live in that situation just around here. I have no idea how many more live that way in other areas. Thousands, possibly millions. Seriously. Last time I checked, there are 10 million orphans living in Mexico, and those are just the ones accounted for. A child is considered an orphan when one of their parents is dead, not both, so there are probably a lot more. Orphanages aren't only for orphans, though. They're also for abandoned or neglected children, which I feel Miguel is. Therefore, an orphanage here would be a great thing. The closest one in this area, that I know of, is about 40 minutes away in a car, an hour and a half/two hours by taxi, and I have no idea how long it would be to walk there. When we have one, it'll be close to the church here, which is great. Pastor Elvis and I are praying and planning this currently, but it's going to take a lot of praying and planning.

Please pray:

1) For a plan for the orphanage to come together at the right time.
2) For a building/land for the orphanage. We have one in mind, so pray that God will reveal to us if it's the right one. If not, then for God to show us another one.
3) For Miguel to come by here again. I feel dumb for not remembering to tell him about the program here, and I want to have the chance to invite him. Also, I know that he, in life, is searching for more than just bottles. He's searching for answers: Why he lives the way he lives. Why his parent(s) do what they do. If anyone really cares about him. If there's more to the life he's living.

Everyone thinks these things at one time or another. For that, they need to know that there is a loving, caring, merciful Heavenly Father who truly cares about their innermost being and only wants what's best for them. They need to know, as well, that God isn't doing this to them: it's Satan who's causing these things. They need to experience His amazing love and faithfulness and grace. Without Him, their lives are a complete mess, like a disassembled 1,000 piece jigsaw puzzle. But, with God, all the pieces come together. It takes time, but, once they learn how to put the pieces together, the mess is no more, but it's now a beautiful illustration of what God has done for them. Please join us in prayer, as we seek out the best plan to help kids like Miguel. Also, if you feel led to, donate to help start the orphanage. Unfortunately, these things cost money, as everything does, so we need all the financial help we can get. Make sure to clarify that it's meant to go towards the orphanage and not me, and I will make sure that it goes to the correct person for that. With all of your help, I know things will come together.

No comments:

Post a Comment